Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ouch

This has been an interesting week! I haven't had a spare minute to write anything on my blog because I've spent a great deal of time working on the materials for the second annual FBC Rockport Girl's Retreat! Can you even believe it's next weekend?! And we have almost filled up 2 vans with girls who are eager to dig into God's Word! I am so blessed. The weekend is centered around the idea that we're all Made for More. We will spend a great deal of time studying the Saul/Paul conversion - what an incredible picture of God's greatness displayed! I'm really REALLY excited for next weekend and am asking that my lovely blog readers spend some time on their knees in prayer for these girls next weekend. God's Word never comes back void.

Next..... I studied for, took and passed my certification exam. Just call me Hollie, RNC-OB. Here are 2 conversations I've had with my husband and mother-in-law regarding my certification:

Jordan: (driving to the testing center): So what exactly does this certification mean?
Me: Umm... that I know what I'm doing?
Jordan: So why exactly are you taking it?
Me: Well, I thought it might look good on grad school applications, if I ever decide to reapply.
Jordan: Oh ok. How much did it cost to take this thing?
Me: $300
Jordan: $300?! ......... So why exactly are you taking it?


MIL: (At dinner) So what exactly does this certification mean?
Me: Umm... that I know what I'm doing?
MIL: So what about all those babies that you've had the last 4 years? You didn't know what you were doing then?????
Me: I guess they just got lucky.

So there you have it folks. According to the NCC, I guess I know what this labor thing is all about.

Then after all that, I completed my first triathlon. It was the sprint variety, but that didn't keep me from feeling like my life was flashing before my eyes during the run portion. The swim was 500 meters, bike was 14 miles and the run was a measly (but excruciating) 5k. I have a friend who completed a half Ironman (70.3) today. She's a total rockstar, and I feel rather wimpy complaining about how sore I am.

Pre-race smiles and jitters. We raced at Aquarena Springs in San Marcos, Tx. By far, the best part of the weekend was the post race shopping spree at the incredible outlet mall in San Marcos.

At the finish line. Please let it be noted by all the readers of this blog that there is someone running up to the finish line behind us, which means I didn't come in dead last. Plus, I out-sprinted a 13 year old on the way to the finish, meaning I wasn't second-to-last either. The race took me a lot longer than I anticipated and was harder than the 2 half marathons I've completed in the past. Today I'm sore in places I didn't know existed. Ouch.

Let it be known that on this day: Sunday, September 25 at 9:58pm (21:58), I, Hollie Marie, hereby announce my retirement from the sport of running triathlons. While I appreciate (ha!) the countless hours poured into preparing for this time, I feel it is in my best interest (mostly for my sanity) to step down indefinitely (aka: forever.).

No comments:

01 09 10