Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holidays = Stress

Yikes!!!

I've got so much to do before heading home next week- it's unreal. You'd think that having the last 6 days off from work would've provided me the time to get everything done and accounted for. And you'd be wrong.

What's worst? I work everyday except Sunday between now & next Thursday, which just happens to be the day we leave.... early!! So we're talking finishing the rest of my Christmas shopping between 7:30 and 9pm over the next few nights. Of course, the only people I have left to buy for are those who are hardest to buy for! I love- emphasize this-- LOVE giving gifts. I cant wait to see the faces of a few people whose gifts I'm really stoked about. I'd spend an obscene amount of money on people during Christmas if it weren't for those little things called bills. This is where my hubby keeps me in line- making budgets and being frugal is his specialty. I guess my own obsession with coming up with great gifts puts undue stress on me during the holidays. 

Aside from having lotsa gifts left to get, I gotta finish up my Christmas cards. I have forgotten over the past year how non-fun it is to dig up addresses and track down people you haven't spoken to since last year @ this time. I've still got a dozen or so cards left to address. I know one thing, I grossly underestimated the amount of cards I'd need to make this year. So, if you were expecting a card and didnt get one (or well, wont get one, as they are all still sitting on our coffee table), I'm sorry. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe next year I'll make the list before I buy the supplies... what a concept. 

Despite all my whining and complaining, I am thrilled to be heading back to Augusta next week. Those of you who've been keeping up with my blog (or keeping up with previous year's worth of traveling), you'll know we haven't been back in Augusta since May. And even then, we were in town for Jenn's wedding, so we weren't able to do many of the things we usually do while at home. We haven't seen our West Acres family since last December! Surprising as it seems, I'm thankful that the Newman reunion will take place while we're in Augusta. Hello yellow rice  & orange fluff!! I dont think I've seen a lot of that side of my family since our wedding, so I'm thrilled to be able to catch up with those aunts, uncles and cousins. (For anyone who's planning on hitting us up for some visit time, the reunion is Saturday afternoon- so we are officially unavailable for those few hours!) 

I feel better now- a lot less yikes and a lot more happy holidays. How can anyone stay unhappy when there's so much to be thankful for? I gotta come to the realization that the world doesnt revolve around me & my obsessive nature. From here out, I choose to have a better, less stressed attitude towards the holidays, nomatterhow overwhelming it may seem right now. 

Does anyone else feel the pressure of the holidays? 


Current song: Before the Throne of God Above by Shane & Shane

2 comments:

Mel said...

:) I just finished my Christmas cards today- be on the look out!

Have fun in Augusta... I'm jealous!

Mandy said...

Hey girl! I know what ya mean about the busy stress of the season! Whenever I get overwhelmed with all to do and the little time to do it....I stop and thank God for giving me even the life to do these things whatever they may be! :)

01 09 10