Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Symbiosis

A symbiotic relationship is a mutually beneficial relationship between two things. Often it's between two different organisms, people or groups. In my case, it's this:

I run because I bake.

Today is no exception: 4 miles in the morning, Beef stroganoff for dinner!

Beef Stroganoff
(minus the mushrooms. Because I dont eat them. Blech. Yucky funguses.)

But in the spirit of full disclosure, I must sheepishly admit that I've never actually eaten mushrooms. I never have given them a fighting chance. One could argue I've also never given Twilight a fighting chance, and I'm not planning on changing my mind anytime soon.


I digress.

What you'll need:
- about 1lb beef stew meat
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- a swirl of vegetable oil
- 2 cans beef broth (low sodium)
- 2 packages brown gravy mix
- 8oz sour cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste

In a cast iron skillet, heat up a swirl of vegetable oil while chopping your onion & garlic. Saute the veggies until softened then remove from pan. Season beef with salt & pepper and toss into the hot (HOT!) skillet. Sear it on both sides and cut the heat to medium. Add beef broth, onions and garlic to beef. Bring broth to a low simmer and cut the heat to low. Simmer for 90 minutes or until beef is tender. Remove about 2/3 of cooked beef from skillet and coarsely shred. To remaining broth, add 2 packets of gravy mix This works best if you take out a cup of the hot broth and whisk in the mix and add this cup into the skillet.... less lumps! If you dont have gravy mix, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch whisked into 1/4 cup of water will also thicken the broth into gravy. Add shredded beef back to gravy. Add in sour cream and stir until combined. Serve hot over egg noodles. A salad or green vegetable will finish the meal and balance out the heavy sauce.


Also, just to clarify, all the funny moments listed on my previous blog happened either at age 5 or younger. It's not cute or anecdotal for a 16 year-old to steal ice cream or pour perfume into dirty flood water. I'm just saying.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

4 MILES!!! You've lost your mind.lol j/k No really...I need to be doing the 4 miles or more...but am I?...not so much, in fact not at all. I applaud you.

01 09 10