Monday, November 17, 2014

Hollie Mims: Wedding Photographer?

If you're scratching your head at the title, don't worry, I'm still scratching my head a little also. It was truly an adventure worth documenting! Haha!

Rewind a few months with me to when dear friend of mine asked me to do makeup for her upcoming wedding. I was totally flattered at the request and of course said yes. A chance to play with makeup on someone other than myself = the most fun ever. We met up several times to shop for and apply her bridal makeup. I loved every second of it! 

A short while later, she asked me if I'd be willing to take pictures of the girls getting ready since I'd already be there. I warned her of my sub-par photography skills, but she assured me that was ok and so I agreed to this request as well. I didn't figure there was a whole lot of pressure in getting these types of pictures, right?

Yay! Wedding makeup!
Fast forward a little further and suddenly I'm the "second shooter" to her primary photographer (another mutual friend) and photographing the entire wedding! Needless to say, I was a bundle of nerves. I would never claim to be a photographer, don't have any fancy equipment, and know little to nothing about editing photos. Furthermore, I know nothing about composition or white balance and shot all of these photos in auto. And yet, here I am, post-wedding, trying my hardest to make these pictures look somewhat presentable (hey, at least the bride's makeup looked great). I definitely had some total fails, but there were also a few that surprised me.




I still absolutely would not claim to be a photographer by any stretch of the imagination. I did not get paid for this "gig," and I don't see myself photographing any more weddings in the future! Haha!

Regardless I'd like to send best wishes to the happy couple! Love you both to pieces!

2 comments:

Erika said...

So fun!! The makeup all looks GREAT!! And I love the bridesmaids' dresses!

Kelli @ A Deeper Joy said...

Those are great photos, Hollie! You really did do a great job. And the makeup looks great as well :) Future hobby???? :-p

01 09 10