Saturday, August 6, 2011

Some More?

As promised, I've made the S'more bars. Twice in fact! They were super delicious and got rave reviews from both parties. The first batch I made went with me to work and fed a large crowd of moderately grumpy nurses. A word to the wise: to get on your nurse's good side, reward her with food. Sometimes we don't get to eat (or pee or breathe) because we're too busy having your baby. It's no wonder we're always grumpy. Carbs are the wonder solution to hunger-induced grumpiness. There is no cure for stupid patient-induced grumpiness.

I digress.

And the second batch fed a large crowd of teenage girls (and a few adult ladies too!) I made the second batch a little different than the first and liked it much better. I'll make note of the change in the recipe and you can choose for yourself.

In any case, make these soon! And have a large glass of skim milk handy to wash the sucker down, because this dessert is sweet and rich.

(it's the same picture from Pinterest. I'm too lame and lazy to take my own picture. Besides, my bars didn't come out of the pan looking quite so pretty.)

S'more Cookie Bars
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (softened!)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
Several handfuls of semisweet chocolate chips.

350 degrees. Also, grease on up an 8x8 pan.

In a bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Once fluffy, add the egg and vanilla until smooth and well incorporated. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt) slowly into the wet ingredients until everything comes together. The dough will be easy to handle- not runny like batter or sticky. Divide the dough into 2 equal halves and press one half into the bottom of the greased pan. Here's where I deviated from the recipe: The original recipe calls for 2 large Hershey bars (not the king size ones, but the really big bars- like what you find on the candy aisle or in the baking section.). I used the hershey bars for the first recipe and thought the result was a little TOO sweet. So for the second batch I used semisweet chips (even dark chocolate would be nice) and thought that it was a better choice. Whether you choose to use semisweet chocolate or Hershey bars, they make up the second layer of the bars, so press them gently into the crust. Only so that the crust helps to anchor the chocolate down, which is ultra helpful when it comes to spreading sticky marshmallow fluff. Once the chocolate is down, spoon on the marshmallow fluff. Resist the urge to cheat and throw mini marshmallows in- the writer of the recipe says that this just does not fly. So spread the fluff around to the best of your ability (this is where chocochips were a little difficult!), making sure to form a nice layer over the whole pan. Finally, top the marshmallow with the other half of dough. To make this easy, I break the dough into 4 pieces and pat it out flat and lay it on top of the marshmallow like a little dough shingle. Bake for 30-32 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy.

1 comment:

Erika said...

YUM!!!

I appreciate all your "keep nurses happy" advice. I'm jotting it all down in case I ever get to have a baby...want to keep those nurses happy! So far my Nurse Care Package will include a variety of simple carbs and adult diapers. I really don't need people rushing me along because they want to leave to go pee, so Depends it is!!

Now I'm adding to the list: Glad plug-ins. I also don't want to be smelling nurse pee while I'm delivering.

01 09 10