Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hi Friends!

Life never slows down, does it? Just when I think I'll get a little downtime, things always seem to come up. We've been ultra busy around here recently (big surprise), and I don't see that ending anytime soon. After spending a day catching up on housework and laundry, Isaac is finally in bed, Jordan is wrapping up his Wednesday night youth service and I've stolen away a few quiet minutes to ramble.

First, I'm thrilled to say I'm typing this from our NEW computer! She's a real beaut and thankfully all updated and working properly. Our previous Macbook served us very well for 7 years, but for the last few months has gotten increasingly more difficult to blog from. iPhoto had become corrupt, which meant any pictures that needed to go through iPhoto had to be loaded onto a different computer, then uploaded to blogger, where I could either save the post and work on it later, or sit at our computer desk and type it out. Either way, it wasn't convenient. The browsers were all out of date. The battery was dead, so I always had to have the computer plugged into the wall. Hurray for new computers! Fingers crossed for some more frequency and less unedited iPhone photos here on the blog!

Over the weekend, we had our first big yard sale at this house. Mostly, we needed to clean some old junk out to make room for this new baby. Our guest bedroom (which will soon by occupied by a toddler) was FULL of stuff. I love purging things. There's nothing more gratifying than starting with a completely overloaded closet and ending the day with a blank space and a bunch of trash bags ready to be taken out. There are very few things I am attached to. My husband, on the other hand, is attached to everything. He can get worked up over an empty box. In most circumstances, we balance each other out; He keeps me from throwing truly important things away and I keep him out of the hoarder zone. In the realm of yard sales, our differing opinions led to a few disagreements. Thankfully at the end of the day, we both compromised on a few things. And we sold a ton of junk! It was a lot of work, but we made a few hundred bucks AND created some space around the house. Win-Win.

Ive been working a good bit more here recently. At least it seems like a lot more coming off of a very sporadic work schedule in July. I don't talk about the Labor & Delivery world here on the blog much more, but it's not for lack of stories. I really do love my job. In the last couple of months, we've had large quantities of patients on a regularly occurring basis. As in, I don't quite understand how there can still be pregnant women in Corpus Christi. Because surely, we've delivered all of them by now. The summer has been CRAZY. Fall is typically our busiest season, which has me worried for September and October. In years past, I could hardly name a day here or there where we ran out of places to put patients. Now, it's a daily struggle to find an empty, clean bed for a patient. Bless your heart if you were scheduled for an elective induction anytime in the last 10 weeks, because you were probably pushed back, sometimes more than 24 hours later. Just a little shameless bragging here: I was orienting a new nurse yesterday and we were in a room with a physician. I introduced her to the doctor and jokingly reassured him that I'd teach her everything I knew. He turned to her and said, "Well, I've always thought that if I needed surgery, I'd want Hollie as my nurse." Now, I quickly told him that I didn't know much beyond delivering babies, but at the same time, I was totally honored to hear something from a doctor I respect greatly. I've always considered my job to be one of my greatest ministries and have put great effort into being a diligent, hard worker. Working hard and being honest doesn't always show immediate rewards, but that comment was certainly a morale boost! Hopefully I kept his good faith by delivering his patient in a safe and timely manner!!

Tomorrow we are off on yet another adventure! Then, in 2 weeks, I go on my own little adventure! Kid Free!!! (Well, except for the one I tote around in my belly) More details on these things to come!

1 comment:

Allison @ Mrs. Southern Mama said...

I love that you said your new computer is a 'beaut.' haha! I totally do things like that when talking. Also, my husband is such a Mac lover, but I'm still a PC... maybe one of these days i'll convert!

01 09 10