Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Feat Unknown to Many

I know I said I was going to write a recipe post, which I plan to do... just not today. But hang in there- Eezy Cheezy Baked Ziti (like the z's right?) is coming your way. But first, a little labor story...


Today, my patient left me speechless. 

I just couldn't get over her discipline and control. This girl had 12 hours of induced labor (not the natural stuff, the start from scratch and "pit to complete" stuff). Her baby (her first) was 8ish pounds. She was polite and never complained, in fact, she didnt make a peep until it was "time." She didnt have the first drop of pain medicine. 

Now, I'm a firm believer in the fact that a woman's body is made to endure labor. Women had successful vaginal deliveries for centuries without the aid of pain medication. I find that people who spend the majority of their labor at home ambulating and changing positions are much more tolerant of labor and use far less medicine (disclaimer: I am not a proponent of the home/unassisted birth... a whole other topic.).  I think women who are able to labor without an epidural need to be disciplined, well educated on the labor process, as well as physically and mentally prepared to endure the marathon that is labor. It's not impossible, but it's not easy. Now, I have not had the pleasure of birthing my own child, but I deliver babies for a living. I cant say that I know the way things are, but... I know the way things are.  First, imagine being strapped to a bed when you're 1cm dilated. Then imagine laboring to 10cm, which takes.... oh.... 10ish hours (we are happy to see 1cm/hr- that's adequate cervical change.). Then imagine having no pain medicine and only having a hand to hold while you breathe through your contractions and cope with the pain. Then imagine also being in the ninth grade. 

Like I said, she left me dumbfounded. 

I told her she needed to start teaching childbirth classes for a living. 

No comments:

01 09 10