Thursday, May 26, 2011

Throwbacks

I am anxiously awaiting the birth of my nephew- my sister is in labor and the little Mr. will be here any minute now (see I told you she was close!). So to pass the time while I wait with very little patience, I give you another recipe!

I was reading Carey's blog on blondies when I remembered a wonderful treat from my childhood. Every once in a while, my mom would make chewy cake. I specifically remember her making it once for a vacation (to which we would always drive for hours on end to get to) and putting it in an orange tupperware. I think we were going to the beach, and everyone snacked on chewy cake while we were there. Funny the things I remember from my childhood.

Anyway, chewy cake is kind of an enigma. It has the chewy consistency (imagine that!) of a brownie but doesnt contain any form of chocolate, which makes it neither brownie nor blondie. It doesnt have icing (although a praline-like icing would fit the bill nicely), so if a qualifier for cake includes having icing, then it is not a cake either. I wouldnt classify it as a bar, even though it's served in squares...


Oh just make the darn recipe.

Chewy Cake
1 box light brown sugar
1 stick butter softened
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2.5 cups self rising flour
pinch of salt
nuts (I chose finely chopped pecans, but walnuts would be delicious also.)

325 degrees.
Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time until well incorporated. Add vanilla. Add flour slowly until well incorporated. Mix in nuts. Pour batter (will be thick and sticky) into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake x 30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. This is the one application in which I would recommend complete cooling before devouring. Then you can actually appreciate the chewiness!


And if that werent enough of a throwback already, for dinner on Tuesday night I cooked up cube steak with rice & gravy. And had chewy cake for dessert. Raise your hand if your mom fixed cube steak for dinner. It was like I was 6 years old all over again!


Hallelujah 10 centimeters! I'm off to wait impatiently by my phone for a "He's Here!!!!"

1 comment:

Krystal Guerrero said...

I made the chewy cake last night and there is NONE left! It was delish!!

01 09 10