Monday, July 6, 2009

Old News

Sorry for the lack of blog love recently. Who knew going back to work was such a time-consuming process?!

Jordan left this morning for Youth camp at Alto Frio. Poor guy's had it rough the past week or so getting all kinds of things sorted out. This kid wants to drop out, this kid wants to go now. He walked into this new job and nobody expected the teens to even GO to camp this year- there wasnt enough money and there were no adult volunteers. But God works in wonderful ways and voila! They're halfway to Leakey, TX now. Please keep hubs in your prayers as he is prettttty nervous about this week. 80% of the campers are middle schoolers, he knows some of them well, some of them not so well, and there were a few kids who showed up this morning that he's never met before. It'll be a week of learning a lot of new personalities. But really, what better way to cultivate new relationships than spend a week at camp? I think he'll be awesome, but he's not convinced yet.

And yes- if you were wondering, he WILL be gone on our 3 year anniversary. I'm not thrilled about this, but he didn't pick this week- it was already established long before he got here. And he says he'll never schedule a camp over our anniversary again.... so he says.

So listen to this. We got a letter in the mail about a week ago now from Geico (our auto insurance company) stating that their "claims investigation center" was unsuccessful in going after the bum who hit me. No luck finding any coverage from any insurer and I dont know if he will be prosecuted or convicted or any of those fancy legal terms. We've long had the Jetta fixed and have reluctantly stomach-ed the deductible needed to fix the car. Well, wouldnt you know... God in all of his mysterious wonder did something mysteriously wonderful. Only days later, I get this call from the claims adjuster at Geico. Turns out the gay male prostitute DID have insurance after all (who wouldve thought...) and he is ALSO insured under Geico!!! What a marvelous blessing!!! So the check's in the mail to reimburse our deductible.
"Then the LORD your God will prosper you abundantly in all the work of your hand, in the offspring of your body and in the offspring of your cattle and in the produce of your ground, for the LORD will again rejoice over you for good just as he rejoiced over your fathers; if you obey the LORD your god to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God will all your heart and soul"
Deut 30:9

And praise #2 is our HOUSE!!!!

We have officially accepted an offer on this little beauty!

It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a little over 1800sq. feet. It's in a neighborhood that's verrrrrrry close to the church. Someone told me yesterday that we picked this neighborhood because it looked like Dallas. Isnt that funny? We are scheduled to close on August 14, but our mortgage broker says we should be done well before then. (which would be awesome!!!) I just cant wait to have a house that I can truly say is mine! Hubs has given me full creative reign over the house and I'm totally stoked and immensely overwhelmed! I dont even know where to begin! Paint colors?! How am I supposed to choose?!? So I've looked to many websites and magazines for inspiration. I know what I like- it's just getting everything in my head onto "paper" and it not looking like a jumbled mish-mash of clutter and disorganized non-matchy stuff.

It'll be a work in progress.

Here's some inspiration:
I've learned I'm drawn to stone/earth paint colors. I love the paint color in this room- aptly named Rockport Gray! I want my house to be fun & representative of our personalities and I'm afraid of having drab taupe walls. BUT at the same time, I want our house to be timeless. I love white, glass and subway tiles. And then, I go for colors like peacock blue (look it up- it's by Glidden), which is dark blue/teal gorgeousness. Such an enigma. See what I'm dealing with here????

Ps. I think I'll use the peacock blue in our laundry room... it'll be totally fab.

I really like this fabric- in the same taupey/stoneish/tobacco colors but in a modern pattern. Dare I make my own window treatments?!?! It's definitely something I'd love to do and Thrifty Decor Chick has lots of guides on no-sew "gorg" window treatments. So maybe it's not so far out of my never-owned-a-sewing-machine hands.

And then there's the master bedroom. The sanctuary. The love shack (sorry, I couldnt help myself!!! I crack myself up!!). Our first order of business after buying a refrigerator and washer/dryer is to get new bedroom furniture. The old full size mattress is still as snug and restricting as the day we said "I do." I really like this set pictured above... maybe with a few less matchy-matchy pillows and a little extra color. I'm thinking that awesome mustardy-yellow color that everyone's wearing except me (because it washes my pale skin out). Maybe a few pillows or a throw to break up the grey/white monotony. There's an article in the BH&G Decorating magazine with a house done in this color palate (black/white/mustard) and it's so fab. I'd like to have the master bathroom be similar.

I feel like i've exhausted the decor/furniture world. Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, BB&B, Home Decorators Collection, Grandin Road, Williams-Sonoma, JC Penney, Kohls, Macys.... I'm looking for some new inspiration. Hit me up with suggestions! Plus- anyone who's handy with a paintbrush will be treasured in the weeks to come!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Congrats on the house Hollie!!! I bet you are thrilled! And by the way I LOVE the color Peacock blue. You will do an awesome job decorating your house I can already tell!

Samantha said...

I love earth/stone colors too! I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to visit!

01 09 10