Thursday, February 4, 2010

mmmm... breakfast. Or midnight snack.

Ok, I know I said ravioli was next. It's on the list.

I just dont know if the Bush's could handle rolling anything out that thin.

I also dont know how much longer I can put up with these ridiculous Grey's storylines.

There, I said it.

I was looking on Noblepig and in a fever-induced stupor, decided I must have some Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins of my own. So between naps, I whipped up a batch.

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins
1 & 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
Jam

Topping:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

They look pretty good right? Well preheat the oven to 350. In one bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and spices. In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk. Stir wet into dry until just moistened. It's super important to NOT overmix the mix. Something to do with gluten or something another. Overmixing leads to tough muffins. And nobody likes tough muffins, right?

Fill greased muffin cups half full, then place 1 tsp of your jam of choice on top. Cover the jam with batter to approx 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine took 20) or until toothpick comes out clean. In hindsight, I think they overbaked a little (might have a LOT to do with the fact that we're at like 12ft above sea level...). Anyway, while the muffins are hopefully not overbaking, melt the butter in one bowl and mix cinnamon and sugar in another bowl. When the muffins are cooked, dip the tops in butter while still warm and then dip in cinnamon sugar mixture. Then devour!

The recipe states it makes 9 muffins, so I portioned out 9 muffins and after baking and seeing all the rising action these yummies do, I think 12 is easily done also with this amount of batter. Also, these are best eaten fresh, and take very little prep time, which makes it easy to whip up a batch for breakfast. Dont let the jam throw you off- I used strawberry. They are slightly reminiscent of Mimi's Buttermilk Spice Muffins. And I love Mimi's. Especially the Buttermilk Spice muffins.

Dont forget to leave a comment on yesterday's post for the David Crowder Cd!

1 comment:

01 09 10