Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Ornament Fail

It doesn't take a genius to realize that this will be Isaac's first Christmas. Even though he will remember absolutely nothing of his first Christmas (the second and third Christmas are probably also going to be pretty fuzzy), that doesn't mean I don't want to have a few special things to commemorate this special occasion.

·Enter "The Ornament"·


A well meaning friend gifted us with this sweet DIY craft ornament. SO Cute, right? I loved it! In my crafty mind, I was not only looking forward to forever having a little Isaac handprint, but also planned on adding his name and "2012" to the impression before it dried. Perfect plan! This morning, while he was calm and before Jordan left for the office, we made our sweet boy's personalized ornament...


Nailed it.


I should've seen it coming when it was nearly impossible to remove the sticky foam-like compound from its own packaging. It stuck to the rolling pin it came with. It stuck to the wax paper. It stuck to my hand, his hand, my clothes, his clothes. It's stuck under my nails and basically everywhere. We would've had a great little handprint if the compound hadn't totally adhered itself to Mr. Isaac's hand, making removal of baby hand from sticky compound absolutely impossible. Because we're gluttons for punishment, we also tried his feet. It's now also stuck to his feet, socks, and pants. Nightmare. Looks like we'll be scraping white goo off until next Christmas. After the damage was done, I noticed the "mess-free" claim on the box and it made me chuckle a little bit.

Maybe we'll just do one of those personalized ornaments from the carts in the mall. 

5 comments:

Erika said...

Haaaa that is awesome. Maybe it's more memorable this way, though!

Kathy said...

Oh my what a mess! Yeah, mess free. Right. Hope that someday you will all be "goo" free.

Abby said...

I can't stop giggling at this! I hope you finish and put it on the tree.. it will brings laughs for years to come!

I plan on trying some of the salt dough ornaments to make for family gifts. I'm afraid they're going turn out like this though!

Katie said...

that is too funny! one year I thought it would be a great idea to make a canvas with my nephew's footprint as a gift for my sister in law. Well it was a disaster. A smeared red foot print and a screaming baby!

~Stephanie said...

HA.... you will quickly learn that things that claim to be mess free are really "messy forever and ever amen."

Ask me about Moonsand one day. FOUR houses later I think we are finally free from it. ;)

01 09 10