Thursday, April 18, 2013

Murphy's Law

You know murphy's law, right?

The worst and most unlikely thing will happen in any given circumstance.

It's the basis for every nurse's superstitions. If you aren't fully prepared, something bad will happen. SO, always be prepared. As soon as you think everything is calm, a bus load of patients gets dropped off at the emergency room. SO, don't ever say the Q word. As soon as you think you've lucked out by choosing your own patient assignment, your choice goes all nutso on you. SO, don't ever choose your own assignment. If you only bring 1 angiocath to start an IV, you'll blow the vein. SO, always bring two. There are many other nursing superstitions, and for a laugh, you could google them.

Here lately today, Murphy's law has been hitting me at home as well.

For Instance:

Two days ago, I washed my car by hand. This might not sound like much to most of you, but I haven't washed a car with buckets of soapy water, a washcloth, and a garden hose since I was in high school. This means two things: That I've been driving around in a really dirty car, and that I've spent entirely too much money paying for car washes. The car sat happy & clean in the garage for an entire 24 hours.  I take my newly washed (with elbow grease & Dawn) car out today to run errands and wouldn't you know,
... it rains.

Last week, Jordan volunteered to go buy us some ice cream after dinner if I put up the dirty dishes (Jordan usually always cleans the kitchen. Isn't he the best?). I thought it was a totally fair trade, so I stated rinsing while he drove to the store. He came back with the greatest ice cream ever: Haagen Dazs Salted Caramel Truffle. Of course he'd also brought me what I'd asked for, which was Blue Bell, so of course it was good. BUT, it wasn't as awesomely fantastic as the ice cream he'd bought for himself. I've been longing for that ice cream ever since we polished off the pint, so I went to the store today and wouldn't you know,
... it's discontinued

I really needed to get some Dawn today. Between washing bottles and washing cars, we are running on dish soap fumes. Usually a day doesn't go by where there aren't any bottles or nipples or pump parts in the sink waiting for a washing. So, I went to the grocery store this morning for a cart full of necessities and then to Walmart this afternoon (to look for that ice cream, which is gone there also.) and wouldn't you know,
... I forgot the Dawn.

Maybe that last one isn't really Murphy's Law, but really? Two shopping trips to different stores in the same day and I still couldn't remember to get dish soap? I'm so lame AND I need to start making a shopping list. Also, the baby is cranky, the grocery store was being inventoried, making my trip unnecessarily long, and I've already had to step all over my carpet triangles.

First World Problems are out to get me today.

2 comments:

Erika said...

OMG that ice cream sounds AMAAAZING!! I am a little broken-hearted that it's discontinued, but I will definitely look for it at all the stores I shop at, just in case it's not discontinued in Georgia yet. :)

Kathy said...

Aren't you glad those days aren't EVERY day? Hope your Murphy's Law day is over for at least a while.

01 09 10