Sunday, January 25, 2009

Self-Inflicted Torture

Ok, so this week in running, I took my training schedule and.... interpreted it in my own way. Basically, this means I hardly followed it at all. I did successfully run my first 2 days, 4.5 and 3 miles, no problem. My third day of running also happened to fall on my third day in a row of working. Those of you who dont work 12 hour shifts, just dont know what that third day (in a row) does to a person. Anyway. My second 4.5 mile run turned into a 2 mile run. I was disappointed, although I was also completely exhausted. After a restful friday, I was "scheduled" to run 7 miles on Saturday. For reasons, I dont remember off hand (as my hips are screaming at me), I pushed myself to run 8 miles instead. And I did. I ran 8 miles. 

So according to my mom, whose been running a little longer than I have, when you start adding a lot of distance to your runs (ie: 8+ miles), then after running you must take an ice bath. I understand the reasoning behind this; it reduces inflammation, relieves soreness and helps to speed up the recovery of your poor muscles that have been shredded to bits. I get it. Was it one of the few most painful experiences of my life? YES. Oh MY Gosh! I am a glutton for punishment! I was literally screaming --loudly-- trying to get used to sitting in ice cold water. Jordan got a good laugh out of it, as did my mom & sister, who I promptly called to complain to. My feet were cramping, my toes were purplish, tears were rolling down my face, I was laughing and screaming at the same time, and eventually, the ice melted and I got used to it. Will I ever do it again?? Mom says it gets easier after the first time. I sure hope she's right.

And I thought the worst part of distance running were those horrible tasting powergel packs.

Anyway. Enough with running! Jordan and I are so ready to be finished with apartment living, we are about ready to pull our hair out. It seems like May cannot come quickly enough. I seriously want to start boxing stuff up already. Jordan has a conference call with a church either tomorrow or Tuesday night, and we met up with a guy Jordan knows who is going to recommend him for a college minister position at a church in our area. And with the job opportunities I've already mentioned, there have been little/no changes. Such is the norm with ministry jobs..... they take forev-er.



No comments:

01 09 10