Sunday, March 14, 2010

You know what they say,

...when the cat's away, the mice will play. Or bake. Or scrap. Or run.

I was in the mood for something sweet and warm. Arent fresh baked cookies the ultimate comfort food?? So in my desperation, I perused a few cookbooks, got some ideas from the items in our pantry and came up with my own yummy cookies. All I need is a name for them.

Hollie's Nameless Cookies
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
3/4 cup softened butter
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
a couple splashes of milk (I used skim because that's all we drink)
2 & 1/4 cups plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
A couple handfuls of craisins
A couple handfuls of chopped almonds
A couple handfuls of chopped vanilla almond bark

(Some of the measurements are just play-by-ear, ya know?)
Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugars until smooth. Incorporate vanilla and whole egg and blend until smooth. Combine dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt) on a paper plate and incorporate half of this mixture until smooth. Add yolk and milk and blend until smooth. Add remaining dry ingredients and blend until all ingredients are well incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl and continue blending if necessary. Add mix-ins and combine with a spatula. This is where the measurements are a little kooky. Just add more until you think you have a nice cohesive mixture. It just worked out that I needed 2 large handfuls of each mix-in. Spoon dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes. Cool & Eat with a big glass of milk!

The higher ratio of brown to white sugar makes these cookies more chewy and the substitution of milk for the second egg yolk will make them moist! They are very very delish!! I made a small batch (just 8!) since it's just me & Mauve here this weekend. I have frozen the remainder of the dough in little cookie portions for another day.

I have frequent cookie urges. After ingesting whatever cookie dough landed on my fingers and spatula AND 3 baked cookies, I've now satisfied my cookie need! I think now I need some pepto!

1 comment:

Casey B said...

So, this has nothing to do with the cookies, but I cooked your cream cheese danish over spring break...OMG soooo goood!! loved it! It is definitely a hit!

01 09 10