Friday, June 19, 2009

A long update and the end of the countdown

So we're finally here and settled in Rockport. It seems like we've already done SO much here and I have so many things to talk about... so this will be a long post. First up, the much-awaited end to the Cowtown Countdown. It was so hard to decide what would be number #1, so we'll just consider it a 3-way tie!

#1 AWH L&D staff
Oh I love my girls. I love love love love love love love love them. I just dont see myself getting to know another group quite so fabulous as this group of gals. There were just too many days that I hated getting up to go in but convinced myself it would be a good day because of who I worked with. My last day there was really really hard, despite having a smiley happy face on. They are just some of the most fab coworkers i've ever had the pleasure of working with and I wish them alllllll the best. 

Cute pregnant friends! Kylie (L) is having a sweet girl and Laura (R) is having a fun boy!! They are just a couple of the dozen pregnant ladies running around our nurses stations!!! You'd think they spiked the water with fertility drugs with as many pregnant girls as we have! (I didnt drink the water...)
Dont let the empty hall fool you.... it looks all peaceful and quiet, but looks can be VERY VERY deceiving. I've heard that since I left, it's been totally chaotic, which isnt surprising! 
Twinkies!!! (Me & Crystal)
I just love these girls! Have I made that clear yet????? L to R: Donna, Amanda, Traci, Sally. 
More friends!!! L to R: Beverly, Susan, Nicki, Rochelle & Lacrecia (who also happens to be pregnant!!!)



#1 The Residents of ED Head Seminary Housing
Oh how I love our neighbors... it breaks my heart to be away from them. They were all the most helpful, fun, caring and loving people and I was so fortunate to live around them the past 3 years. I will miss our frequent visits and dinners out to Zaxbys (among other places...), walking over for a cup of milk or can of green beans. Babysitting the babies and being the delivery nurse for 2 of our new babies!! I knew getting into this whole seminary mess that people would continuously go in and out of our lives and it would only be a matter of time until all of our wonderful neighbors would take jobs somewhere else and move away too. Its a bittersweet thing, to get so close to such wonderful people and then move away (especially since I kind of suck at correspondence.)
The daddies & Jordan. They are lined up according to baby age... Greg (& Eli), Josh (& Jeshua), Joel (& Noah), Shannon (representing gestating baby Lane!!!!) and then Jordan. 
Joel, Stacy & baby Noah! I've blogged about this sweet family a lot!
Amber (who is expecting!!!!!!!) holding sweet 3 week old Noah and Kelli
The Girls. Oh I miss these girls so much already. In fact, I called Mendy (2nd from L) before we even got to Hillsboro to ask for a favor. They've seen Jordan and I through lots of happy times and lots of illness and sad times and have never thought ugly things about my eternally messy apartment. (L to R: Kelli, Mendy, Moi, Stacy, Amber)
The boys doing what they do (and love) best: grilling. I will miss our grill outs and now wish we'd gotten together weekly! 
And who couldnt love this sweet munchkin?!?!? 


And finally...
#1 Shady Oaks Baptist Church
So many people wonder how we, living in Fort Worth, ended up becoming members at a church in Hurst. Here's the quick story: it was november 2006 and a Saturday night and I was stressed because we'd already visited 7 or 8 other churches looking for something as wonderful as West Acres with no avail. We'd gone to a movie (The Holiday) at the Northeast Mall and while waiting on the previews, an advertisement for the church popped up on the screen. I, being frustrated, said "Lets just go there tomorrow." So we did. and it was pretty fantastic. We fell in love with our sunday school class which grew (during our stay) from 3 or 4 regular newlywed couples to 13-14 couples ranging from engaged to married 10+ years . I miss our class. I will miss our post church Sunday lunches. Mostly I will miss our awesome friends. Friends that became our family, when our biological families were so far away from us. 

SOBC
Brian, Shelley, & Sydney. We had a lot in common with these guys from the very get-go. Brian is a seminary grad and Shelley is a NICU nurse at Baylor (BUMC, not AWH). 
Nate & Allison. We L-O-V-E them. When we first met these guys, they were engaged and we were fortunate enough to see them get married and we appreciate that they are as anti-kid as we are (among other things). They're DINKs like us, so we expect them to make their way to South Texas sometime sooooooon. 
Our last Sunday was "Church out of the box" where we had service on the front lawn. It was fun and easy going (despite getting sunburnt). 
Caleb & Meredith Potter; sweet sweet friends (ignore the red tint- we were sitting under a red tent which blew over while we were eating lunch) and i'm so jealous- they're building their first house right now! Like as I'm typing, it's being built! Super fab. We just love these guys- they've been around from the very beginning too and have always been loving on us. Also DINKs and welcome to visit. 
The Stranges and Lyons
Sweet baby Carter. I just want to kiss his little cheeks.

So many of our friends i've mentioned here are so special to me (and Jordan) that my words cant even begin to do justice. Starting over here and leaving my friends behind (and my Georgia friends even further behind) just makes me nervous and sad and nauseous. I can remember the "start over" period coming to seminary, which was really hard for me. I think this transition will be easier, but still bittersweet. 


So what's happened since we've been here???? We've moved into our temporary apartment at Vic & Marsha's. They are the sweetest couple and have been ultra accomodating and hospitable to us since our arrival- and congrats to them on celebrating 40 years of marriage!!! They're in Hawaii right now celebrating their milestone. We had an abundance of help unpacking our truck that we got everything moved into a storage unit in less than 45 minutes. Jordan's installation service was Sunday night and we were loved on and prayed over. Afterwards, we had cake and a pounding (which was awe--some!!!) We got so much food and cash and gift cards, we were overwhelmed with things!!! We have 2 full cabinets of food and 3 boxes of stuff in storage. We got hundreds of dollars in grocery store gift cards and even some nice restaurant gift cards too! Meanwhile on Sunday, Scott & Kim had their baby- a sweet girl named Kathryn who looks just like her big brother. Big congrats to them!!!!!! 

Monday was an unpack & settle day. 

Tuesday was a Corpus day. I took the car into the shop, turned in my new hire paperwork, had some blood drawn and a tb test done and met my new boss and saw the unit. 

Wednesday was Jordan's first youth group and my first (but not last) trip to the beach. 

Thursday was Jordan's birthday!! He has every Thursday off, but would have gotten his birthday off anyway... We looked at houses and I think have settled on something wonderful that we both love. We look at one more this afternoon and then I think we may make an offer....! Anyway, we had lunch with Bethany and dinner with some of the high school youth. Saw a movie, drove to Port A, transferred some prescriptions, watched some tv. It was a nice lazy birthday. I hope he had a great day :)

And so now it's Friday! This time last week, we were loading the truck. It's hard to believe tomorrow will mark a week spent here in Rpt. Crazy!!!!!



No comments:

01 09 10